Inspired by Scholastica

 

 

A Tree’s Lament


The fierce winds blew

whipping my branches,

stripping my leaves.

Then I felt a painful crack

down my right side

ripping open a limb,

crippling my strength.

 

I feared the storm’s

wildness raging on--

would it end my life

on this peaceful green spot

overlooking the graves

of women long passed,

with old majestic buildings

looming behind me?

 

It holds so many memories

of flowing robes and veils,

women who devoted

their lives to prayer and

teaching and serving others.

 

Maybe my broken wound

will heal and not be deadly.

Hopefully they will not chop

me down completely,

let me live a little longer

to provide shade and beauty

for my monastery home.

 

Barbara Mayer, OSB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog