Lord, that I may see



In this Sunday's Gospel from Mark 10:46-52, we hear the story of the blind Bartimaeus who encounters Jesus on his way through his town. He cries out "Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me." When Jesus asks him, "What do you want me to do for you?", the blind man says, "Lord, that I may see." He asks not only for physical sight, but for understanding, and Jesus tells him his faith has given him all that he needs.
If Jesus asked you, "What do you want me to do for you?" what would you say? Some might want a cure for their sickness, others might ask for enough money to retire comfortably, still others might request success, or fame, or prestige. Many of us want things that do not last, that will not benefit us in the long run. Asking for vision to see what is really important in life is the best request we could make of Jesus. Knowing what is essential for salvation, what is going to make us whole and holy, is what really matters. Spiritual sight and understanding will give us all we need for happiness. "Lord, that I may see rightly."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog