Compassion 101



Some people are naturally compassionate and some of us have to work at it. I need to work hard at being empathetic. Since I learn fairly easily, I am not very understanding of those who are slow at comprehending. However, when it comes to computers, I have a hard time, so I am learning to be more compassionate toward other computer illiterates. I see and hear pretty well, so I get impatient with those whose sight and hearing are failing. But as I grow older, I know I will need others' patience with my poor vision and hearing. I rarely get sick, so it's hard to really empathize with those who suffer chronic illness. However, as my arthritis gets worse, I am beginning to be more attuned to others' deteriorating bodies.

In our busy, fast-paced society, many of us don't want to bother with those who need attention and care. Compassion takes time and listening skills. It means being with those who are grieving, suffering, or lonely. You don't need to worry about what words to say. A touch, a smile, a hug, a loving look is all that's required, plus listening to someone's story. Sharing a cup of coffee and toast is often thoughtful too. If we had good role models in our parents or extended family, we may be more adept at compassion. But all of us can learn by practice and soon it will come more easily.




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog