Lent – A Time to Grow


Lent is upon us. We can think of it as a time of sacrifice and penance or a time of growth and new life. For me, it is a time to look back to where I’ve been lacking and forward to where I want to grow. I look at some of my weeds and rough parts and ask for God to be there with me as I try to be reinvigorated.

I think we’re all a little like plants that need some pruning to grow into beautiful buds or branches. Maybe we can get rid of some of the dead leaves. Our lives can become wilted or weedy too.

I like to think of God as opening me up to receive all the good things he wants to give me if only I have eyes to see and a heart to receive. Sometimes I put obstacles like indifference and laziness in the way of new growth.

Each Lent we get a chance to respond to God’s gentle prodding and encouragement. Prayer nourishes our spirits, faithfulness softens the hardness of our hearts, sacrifice strengthens our weakness. Often, we need to fertilize our spirits with extra nutrients of love and gentleness to make sure we do not wither and dry up. Sometimes we can nurture one another with kindness and mercy.

In this lenten garden, may we grow more like all those holy women and men who have gone before us. May we produce the good fruits of justice and peace and care for one another. We can be sure the Master Gardener is here with us to encourage our slow but steady growth.

“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Col. 3:17)

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog