Snow Overload



I used to like to walk in fluffy snow,
to hear the crunch of packed mounds
of white under my boots, to taste
icy flakes on my tongue, to see
my breath make foggy clouds,
to make angels in the powdery flakes.

Now I’m no longer excited
at a forecast of six to eight inches
of white precipitation, no longer
thrilled at a possible free day.
It just means hours of shoveling
or plowing streets and sidewalks.
Image result for pics of snow

I guess that's what happens
when age creeps up on you,
and you worry about slipping
on slick paths and keeping warm
as you clean off the car or search
for the hidden newspaper.

I try not to be too irritated
when I see gleeful children
sliding down hills in makeshift sleds,
or throwing icy balls at random.
I just hope they don’t cross
my path and knock me down.

So don’t expect me to jump
for joy when the next flurries
appear. I’m ready for greening
sprouts and forsythia gold,
for gentle rains and soft breezes.
Enough of this white stuff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog