Being Prepared


Image result for Preparation for death pics

Lee Forge, a good friend, was killed in a car accident last week. At his wake there were many testimonials about his spirituality, dedication, care for others, enjoyment of life, and many other virtues. The one that struck me most was his preparedness. Whether it was skiing, or cooking, counnseling, or hospice volunteering, he always prepared with great discipline. To be a skillful skier, he would practice all year in his garage with a machine that helped develop his muscles and strength to conquer the slopes. To be an excellent cook, he perfected his recipes by frequent practice. To be an effective counselor, he studied, listened and used every skill he had to encourage his clients. To accompany people who are dying, he comforted and prayed with them through all their pain and questioning.

He never did anything half-heartedly. It was all or nothing with Lee. He was genuine and generous in all his relationships. I'm sure he was prepared to meet his God on that fatal day, since every day he rose early to devote time to prayer.

All this made me think of how prepared I am for my death. How whole-hearted is my response to God and others in my life? I am not disciplined in many areas of my life. In fact, I am downright lazy much of the time. I admire discipline in others, but fail to practice it myself. I always have excuses, like I'm too tired, or don't have time, or am distracted by other things.

I'm going to pray to Lee to help me be prepared for the unexpected in life and to be more whole-hearted in my response to the daily promptings of the Spirit. Living every day to the fullest is the best way to be prepared for the final day. Thanks for your example, Lee!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog