Breathing Lessons


 Causes Icon

When I was growing up I had asthma and during an attack, it was difficult to keep breathing. It was scary, and my mother tried all sorts of home remedies. The worst was when someone recom-mended giving me warm milk with butter in it. I didn't like milk at all, much less warm with butter. Going to a doctor was the last resort in those days. I spent many a sleepless night propped up on pillows, trying to breathe. I eventually outgrew it, for which I thank God. I think of that when I do centering prayer and become conscious of my breathing. As I breathe in and out, I focus on how God gives me each breath I take, and what a gift it is to be alive and able to breathe normally. Most of us take breathing for granted, yet those who have heart, COPD, pleurisy, and other health problems often need extra oxygen to breathe. We take so many ordinary things for granted, like water, clean air, rain, electricity, air conditioning, plumbing, freedom, and so much more. We ought to be bursting with gratitude every minute of the day. Lord, give me a grateful heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog