When will we see the light?


This has been a hard couple weeks. First there was the tragic shooting after the Super Bowl parade in Kansas City. Then there was the news that Alexei Navalny, the brave leader of the opposition in Russia, had died in prison. Later I read that the military aid to Ukraine did not pass the Senate. And recently I heard that the food and medical supplies being sent to the starving Palestinians in Gaza were not allowed to go through by Israeli forces.

It was almost impossible to find one piece of good news. I know I need to stop watching the news and reading the newspapers. I should focus more on Lent and the Scriptures. The gospel for the Second Sunday of Lent was the account of the Transfiguration. This was the time Jesus’ body became dazzlingly white and the apostles who were with him heard the words from above: “This is my beloved son. Listen to him.” Peter, James, and John were overcome with joy at this tremendous revelation. Yet not too long afterward Jesus was arrested and crucified. More bad news.

A few days later, however, Jesus rose from the dead. So in spite of Jesus’ terrible suffering and excruciating death, his resurrection overcame the evil. I try to tell myself that maybe there will be some good news if I’m willing to wait. But the waiting is the hardest part. When will justice be done? When will peace be achieved?  When will good overcome evil in our current world?

I am not a very patient person. I may not live long enough to see the world achieve peace. I may  have to trust that God knows what he’s doing and I just have to keep praying and trusting. There’s an old joke, “Life is hard and then you die.”  But we who have persevered through all the injustices and suffering believe that even if we die, we shall live with God forever. Then the light will shine through..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog