Everyone Belongs


Richard Rohr often speaks of the oneness of things. He emphasizes that everything belongs and everyone belongs. He says that every person is a “holy child of God.”

Julian of Norwich, a 14th century mystic, also speaks of oneness: “The love of God creates in us such a oneing that when it is truly seen, no person can separate themselves from another.” 

That sounds good in theory, but I have a hard time seeing certain people as holy children of God, especially corrupt politicians, abusive people, murderers, tyrants, persecutors. etc. I can pray that they will change their evil ways, but how can I love them?

Then I begin thinking about my own sinfulness, my own failure to be the kind person I want to be, to be holy.  What if God stopped loving me because I do not measure up to be loving or at least accepting of all? I would be in a miserable state. In fact, I would be in the depths of despair.

If everyone belongs, then I have to learn to love those who think differently, who do things I object to, who are liars and harmful people. Those I want to ignore, despise, avoid, I have to love and see as holy. What a challenge!

This being a Christian is not something for the weak of heart.  I have to constantly remind myself that we are all one and Christ died to save us all. Everyone belongs and God never makes anyone whom he does not love. I have to ask forgiveness for all the times I have spoken disdainfully about those I disagree with.  God, help me to see and love every person as a holy child of God.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog