Beyond our Blindness



Sometimes, I find myself judging people who seem weak or inept or lazy. I think they ought to be able do better. I realize it's wrong to judge others - and I try not to - but those judgments inevitably seep in. I know that I'm not perfect, and I have a thousand faults or more myself, so I feel terrible when I fall into the trap of judging others. 

I am learning to tell myself that others are doing the best they can, just like I am. In fact, I am probably weaker, more inept, and lazier than others, but I am often blind to my own shortcomings. So how do I overcome this detestable habit? 

I try to find something good the other has done, so I can dwell on that. Or, I remind myself of my own faults, so I remember how inadequate or selfish I am. Actually, imperfections in a piece of pottery often make it more interesting and even add to the beauty of the pot. Isn't this often true in people, too? People who are too perfect seem unreal. In fact, the cracks and spots make them more human.   

God, please help me see myself as I truly am in your eyes, and give me the grace to stop judging others. My imperfections stare me in the face, yet I am often blind to them. Teach me to be honest about my own failings, and help me to see the beauty in others. When I adjust my lenses, I am able to see the kindness and goodness of others and give thanks for their cracks and rough edges. Their imperfections actually make them more real and make me able to accept my own brokenness. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog