Grateful Hearts

Recently, I was reading about waking up to gratitude - gratitude for being alive, for being healthy, for having a comfortable bed, for having air conditioning, for having a shower with hot and cold water. I thought of how many people in the world have none of these things. Most of us just take them for granted, but we need to consciously give thanks.

As I begin each day, I find so many more things to be grateful for: freshly brewed coffee, orange juice, fresh bread, and a choice of fruit. Then, I look outside, and I rejoice in the trees and multi-colored flowers, the squirrels and birds, the bees pollinating the flowers, the sun brightening my world. Awareness fills my soul with gratitude.

As I open my eyes wider, I rejoice in family and friends, for TV, computers, dishwashers, and phones and electricity to make them work. I pick up a book I'm reading and am glad for writers and poets who lift my spirits. I see children playing in the yard and smile at their clever antics and energy. 

I say a prayer of gratitude for all the things that I have, and know that I am blessed beyond words. As I take in all the beauty and wealth around me, I remember that there are many people who do not have all these things - in fact, who lack the basic necessities, who live in war-torn areas, who are homeless, unemployed, hungry, and in pain. 

I am too old to respond to these needs in tangible ways, too isolated. Prayer and lifting the spirits of those around me is all I have to offer. I admire those who actively serve the poor and needy in soup kitchens, homeless shelters, and through refugee resettlement. As the psalmist says, "Let us rejoice and be glad." 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog