One Wild and Precious Life


Image result for full of life pics

I've always taken good health for granted. I did have asthma when I was young, but it disappeared early on. I also had pneumonia a couple times, yet  medications alleviated that pretty quickly.

Now that I am in my later years, my health has deteriorated. My walk is slower and not so steady. I can no longer do many of the things I used to do (although I still play ping pong regularly).

Although my health is more precarious, I am grateful for each new day that I can be mobile and mentally alert (although somewhat forgetful). I love to read fiction and write poetry as well as enjoy a Kansas sunset. These days I also look forward to an afternoon nap.

I often think of Mary Oliver's question: "What Will You Do With Your One Wild and Precious Life?" It makes me think about what a gift life is and that I need to cherish it. It also reminds me that I have a special work to do that will be left undone if I don't do it.

As my energy level decreases, I have to make an effort of reaching out, stretching myself to grow more attentive to those around me. My world has grown a little smaller, but I have plenty of opportunities to visit the lonely and the sick, to extend a helping hand to those in need, to write a note to someone who may feel no one cares, to praise another's unique gifts.

I also try to be thankful for my "wild and precious life" that has brought me so much joy and opportunities to grow. I never did anything great or became famous -- just wrapped myself in the kindness and glory around  me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog