Transformative Path


Image result for learning through failure pics

The path of descent is the path of transformation. Darkness, failure, relapse, death, and woundedness are our primary teachers.
                                                                                                                                    - Richard  Rohr

Most of us shun darkness, failure, relapse, death, and woundedness. They are things we would not voluntarily seek. Yet Rohr tells us they can teach us how to be transformed.  If we think back on our lives, our so-called negative times have made us more understanding and compassionate people. 

Our periods of darkness when we are discouraged and confused  don't seem to have any redeeming features. Failures  make us feel inadequate and humiliated. When we relapse into behavior that drags us down we are ashamed. When we are wounded we fall into self-pity. And death seems so final and hopeless.  How can these lead to transformation?

The secret is not to get stuck in these paths of descent, but to learn from them. They can teach us humility, empathy, courage, perseverance, and trust. Without these valuable teachers, we tend to become pompous, selfish, weak individuals.  So when things don't go as smoothly as we would like, we need to stop and ask ourselves," What does God want to teach me through this experience?"

When I failed to be an effective teacher, I becames discouraged and depressed. I thought that was what I wanted to be. Then I realized I really wanted to write and I could become a journalist with my degree in English. I enjoyed interviewing people and writing about my opinions and experiences.  I discovered my passion was writing, and I became a much freer, happier person.  Every descent can lead to transformation if we are willing to learn from it.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog