Remembering the Past

As we grow older we forget many experiences of our childhood, but often we remember the unhappy stuff. Like spilling ink on a red, white and blue dress and hiding it in a drawer so my mother wouldn't see it. When she found it she was furious with me for not showing it to her right away.  I also recall getting my mother a white orchid for Mother's Day with my own money. She didn't like it because she thought white flowers were for dead people. I felt so hurt and unappreciated.

How does our mind pick and choose what to remember? I wish I could remember more of the good things like winning a speech contest or making my First Communion or meeting my half sister for the first time but those memories have faded. I have very few pictures of my childhood since Mom didn't have a camera and besides she was too busy working. But I do have one of my brother and I in a wagon with my mother pointing to the camera.

Image result for pics of little girls
I guess our minds get so crowded they just can't find room for everything. I hope that I can be grateful for all of life, the good and the bad, because all that happens shapes us into the unique person we are. If everything was easy all the time how would we develop strength and courage? If we had no difficulties, how would we develop a resilient character?  I know I admire characters in books who have risen above difficult early years to become successful.

As Alfred Lloyd Tennyson said, "I am a part of all that I have met." So the hard knocks and the mountain top experiences are all a part of us. Thank you, God.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog