The Writing Life


I have always enjoyed writing. Most of my jobs required some kind of writing: journalist, editor, poet, public relations person. I write best when I am passionate about an idea or issue. I also love to read -- words fascinate me. My friend tells people that I even read cereal boxes. The problem is I 'm not very organized or disciplined. So I write in spurts and read when I ought to be doing other things. I admire writers who spend a definite amount of time each day using that skill and readers who can put a book down when duty calls. Of course, now that I am semi-retired, I have more time to devote to these pleasures, but still I waste precious time on unimportant activities. Yet I have enough German work ethic in me to get things done when I have a deadline or responsibility. Sometimes I think I have nothing important to say, but then someone thanks me for writing a poem or an editorial that spoke to her/him. And now I have a blog to express some of my thoughts, so I can tell my story or write about some passion of mine and hopefully someone will read it and be touched by it. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog