Boat Tragedy


Recently, I read the news story of the Pakistani refugees on the overloaded boat that capsized on the way to Greece. Of the over 700 occupants, only about a hundred survived. Most of the migrants were desperately poor people who were seeking a better life.

Of all these tragic victims, one that moved me the most was  a 14-year-old boy whose father had spent all his savings and sold their tiny home to pay for his son’s fare. The father could feed his other children only a scrap of bread once a day. The family had heard of other boys who helped their destitute families by migrating to Greece, getting work, and sending money back home. The boy wanted to do the same. Now the family has nothing, plus they have lost their oldest son.

When I read this, sorrow and anger filled my heart. Sorrow for all those who died and anger that such a tragedy could happen. 

I’m afraid I was also angry at God for letting this tragedy happen. Yet who can know the mind of God? I want to believe that God took all of these victims into his loving arms and that somehow their loved ones will be consoled and survive.

It reminded me of all the families who lose loved ones through violence, natural disasters, or tragic accidents every day. I can only lift them all up in prayer and entrust them to God.  Still the tears come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog