Joy Snacking


I had never heard of “joy snacking” before seeing the words on the Nice News page in my email. It made me stop to read it before deleting it. The author refers to bits of joy we can savor in our everyday lives, like a sunset or a smile or a piece of poetry. Such pauses encourage us to take time to enjoy the simple things amidst our worries, griefs, and mundane tasks. Yet sometimes, we are so preoccupied that we miss taking note of them.

I’m trying to do more joy snacking during Lent. Even though we’re supposed to give up things during this season, this one is allowed. It’s amazing how much we miss when busyness takes over our lives. This morning, I stopped to appreciate the five yellow crocuses barely visible amid the dry leaves on our patio. I felt thankful for the 87-year-old sister who carried supplies to our guest quarters. I feasted on the fresh zucchini-nut cookies that 90-year-old Sister Rosemary made in our new kitchenette. I also enjoyed the sun beaming through the window in my room, brightening my walls.

When we take time to relish joyful bits and pieces, it makes sorrows and difficulties easier to bear. Joy snacking often can make us forget about our aches and pains, our regrets, our disappointments. It might even eliminate feeling sorry for ourselves, as well as prompt us to have more fun.

Joy snacking does not take much effort – just more awareness. So, I’m trying to remember to observe the blessings in my life, especially the people I see every day and the natural beauty outside. Artists and writers are probably the best joy snackers in the world, because they see beyond the ordinary with their sharper vision. And farmers and environmentalists encounter the beauty of nature and new life daily.

So let’s snack on joy often to enrich our lives and the lives of others.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog