Autumn Thoughts


Autumn is a time to contemplate nature. The brilliant hues of trees are especially enthralling. There are a number of trees on our campus that make me catch my breath in awe. I know trees are more glorious in Vermont or New Hampshire, but Kansas has its own special loveliness.

One maple tree behind St. Cecilia's is always so majestic, shining in the sunlight. I look forward to seeing it every year. It makes me feel the all-embracing warmth of  God's love. I can imagine God's paintbrush adding a touch of gold here, some orange there, a tinge of scarlet in between. The Great Artist makes trees come to full stature and glory.

Every season has its beauty, but autumn seems to be especially enticing. Spending time with nature often inspires prayer. Who but God could decorate our world with such magnificence?  

Of course, there is a time for splendor and a time for leaves to dry up and fall, just as there is a time for us to shine and a time for us to let go of our life on earth. Some of us try to cling to life even when the quality of life is severely diminished. 

O God, as I meditate on autumn's beauty, may I remember how you have colored my life with richness: the people I have known, the places I have visited, the books I have read, the poetry I have enjoyed, the fun times I have had. Some experiences have been more colorful than others, but all have become a part of me. When this earthly beauty vanishes and I come face to face with death, may I be able to let go, learning from nature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog