Living in the Now

 Sometimes I find myself anxious about my mistakes of the past: things I wish I had done differently, neglect for family members, kindnesses I was too busy to do, time I wasted, people I ignored. Other times I worry about the future: When will I die? What illnesses will befall me? Will I be a grumpy old person? Will I lose my sight or my ability to care for myself?

Someone once said that mistakes of the past are called experience. We are meant to learn from them. That is a healthy attitude. And God will provide the strength we need to handle what will happen in the future. God holds all of us in his loving hands, caring for us when we are weak, lifting us up when we are discouraged, rejoicing with us when we succeed.

The past is over and I have no control over the future. All I have is NOW. So now is the time to do those things that are important to me, that have significance in my life. Now is the time to write the letter I have been putting off. Now is the time to call old friends and tell them how much they mean to me. Now is the time to get rid of the junk I have accumulated. Now is the time to visit those I know who are lonely or sick. 

Learning to live in the NOW is hard for many of us. One thing I find helpful is to remember to say when I get up in the morning, "God, today is all I have. Let me make today the best day of my life. Give me a forgiving and thankful heart. Take away my regrets and worries so I will be the most loving person I can be. 






Comments

  1. Thank you for this inspiration to do for others and prepare for saying goodbye!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog