to be more Grateful

 Whenever I am tempted to get on my pity pot, I go to visit the sisters in our nursing facility. They are mostly in their 80s and 90s and have various disabilities due to aging and illness.

There's Sister Jeremiah who is confined to a wheelchair after having a stroke. She has a brilliant mind but can no longer navigate on her own. Then there's Sister Rose who is also confined to a wheelchair after a botched surgery. In addition, she now has cancer on her nose. There's Sister Vera who had a stroke and is now in and out of reality. Then there is Sister Adele who is confused most of the time. She was a college professor and poet before drifting into senility. 

Sister Marlene has Parkinson's disease and her hands tremble most of the time. Sister Nancy has rheumatoid arthritis in her hands and feet and has fallen several times. Sister Bertha is confined to a wheelchair due to weakness in her legs. Sister Imelda has dementia and is always wants to visit her parents. Sister Georgia, a former school administrator, now has some cancer lesions on her head. Sister Doris was a nurse and artist; now she spends most of her time in her room reading and praying. 

Most of these sisters are not much older than I am. They endure their limitations patiently for the most part. I have some aches and pains, but am still mentally alert and able to get around. I need to remind myself that I am abundantly blessed in many ways. Although I have slowed down quite a bit, I can still do a lot of things and live fairly independently. 

So no more feeling sorry for myself. I need to be grateful for letting me enjoy life and blessing me with fairly good health. Thank you, God, for all your blessings. Make me appreciate the things I can still do and let me not complain. 

(NB: Names have been changed to protect privacy.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog