Short Prayer



 Many people think that long prayers, preferably on one's knees, are more efficacious than short prayers. Or prayers said aloud are more likely to be heard than silent prayer. So we pray rosaries or attach a string of prayers together. 

Yet saints and theologians tell us God hears us no matter how we pray. St. Benedict says that prayer should be short (Chap. 20:4,5 of St. Benedict's Rule) 

Father John Dunne, 20th century theologian and author, agrees. He even composed a song about short prayer:          

Short prayer
Penetrates heaven,
Like Help!   
Like Thanks!
Like Yes!



May I know me!
May I know thee!
Everything
Is in your hands!
Guard me
And guide me!
Your will is our peace. 

Just a verse of a psalm can be an effective prayer, such as: "O God, come to my assistance." A prayer in our own words is perhaps better than a prayer from a book. Prayer should rise from the depths of our heart. If we feel like we are at the end of our rope, we might just pray, "Lord, help me!" When we feel blessed, we could simply say, "Thank you, God." When we see a beautiful sunrise or sunset, we might say, "God, you are so good." When we feel lonely, we can say, "Lord, let me feel your loving presence."

St. Teresa of Calcutta reminds us, "At the hour of death when we come face-to-face with God, we are going to be judged on love; not how much we have done, but how much love we put into the doing.” 

We always have time for prayer that is short and simple. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog