Social Distancing


With all our many kinds of social media today, social distancing isn't too big a problem when we are quarantined. We can contact people with Facebook, e-mail, I phone, FaceTime, Skype and programs I don't even know about. In fact, I've seen some young people use their pads or phones to talk even when the person they are calling might be in the same room.

Recommendations for keeping a distance of six feet has proven to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. Social distancing is do-able, but sometimes you really want to hold or hug the person you're talking to. When parents are reading stories to their children, it's nice to cuddle up with them. When you tell someone you love them, it seems natural to give them a kiss. Six feet is a little far to bend!

In our monastery, we are separated from our elderly sisters who reside in our care center. Many of us are e-mailing, calling, or sending notes to them. Some of our sisters even put notes on their windows from outside to send them greetings. 

When the pandemic is over, maybe we will appreciate being together a lot more. Perhaps we will really get to know our neighbors and spend more time with our families. For now we worry about our loved ones getting the virus or even dying if they are elderly or have health issues. Hopefully, we are learning to rely more on prayer and God's care for us. Jesus promised,"Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Is. 41:10 ESV).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog