Who Is my Neighbor?

Image result for pics of humanitarian aid workersI read recently in the New York Times that Dr. Scott Warren, a teacher from Arizona, faced federal charges for the third time this year for providing humanitarian aid to migrants crossing the border. He was providing life-saving aid, not smuggliing people into the U.S. This is just one example of the governments's ongoing prosecution of aid workers in the midst of a crisis of death and disappearance.

Is it illegal to give food water and clean clothes to people in need? Dr. Warren, a member of No More Deaths, gave aid to two migrants and was arrested. This can intimidate people who offer care and compassion to victims of discrimination and persecution. These acts should not be criminalized in a country that used to welcome those seeking freedom and safety. Thankfully, Dr. Warren was acquitted.

 Aid workers are carrying out the mandate of Jesus. In the story of the Good Samaritan a young man asked Jesus:"Who is my neighbor?" Jesus told of the actions of a Samaritan who took care of a man who had been beaten and left to die. The Samaritan gave the suffering man medical aid and left money for further expenses with the innkeeper. He did not check to see if he was documented or undocumented. He saw a human being in need and in his compassion responded. 

There are many aid workers in Texas and Arizona at risk of arrest. The immigration system is broken and innocent people are being arrested for being true Christians. In Matthew 25, Jesus reminds his followers that at the Last Judgement, he will separate them into two groups. To one he will say:"Come, you have my Father's blessing! For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink," etc. And to the other group he will say: Out of my sight, you condemned ... I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink," etc. I'd rather be on the side of the merciful.






 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog