Our Personal Saints


Image result for free pictures of all saints day

This Friday Catholics celebrate All Saints Day and on Saturday, All Souls Day. It’s a day we remember  the holy women and men who have gone before us, especially our deceased relatives and friends.  It’s a time to recall with gratitude all those who have influenced our lives in some way.

I remember my high school English teacher who encouraged me to write and to enter speech contests. I was a shy student, but she brought out the best in me. I once had the leading role in a contest for a play about an aging actress who was chosen to return to the stage. We did not win the contest, but the experience was great  for my self-confidence.

Another influence in my life was a priest who was my spiritual director for a time. He helped me through a difficult time with his psychological insights into my struggles and problematic relationships.There was also a therapist whose wisdom and guidance assisted me in dealing with some past experiences.These people are all deceased now and numbered among the saints, I'm sure.

I also remember friends who were there for me during  good times and bad times and challenged me to face my shortcomings and accept my failures. They helped me realize these experiences were not the end of the world, but rather steps to growth.

We all have people who have been “saints” for us, and that we owe our gratitude. On All Saints/All Souls Day we can pray to them to intercede for us as we continue our life on earth. They were sent by God to be companions on our journey. At the time we may not have realized their importance or expressed our gratitude, but it is never too late to say, “Thank you.”

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing. After a busy week, I had settled down in front of Facebook, came across this post, realized it was All Saints Day and scooted off to Mass!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog