Woman with a Hemorrhage


Woman with a Hemorrhage
She had heard about Jesus and came up behind him in the crowd 
and touched his cloak, for she said, “If I but touch
his clothes, I will be made well.” (Mark 5: 27-28)

Twelve years I sought relief
going from doctor to doctor
but the bleeding continued.
Image result for woman with hemorrhage picsI was shunned as unclean,
rejected even by my family
yet I was guiltless, faithful
to the Jewish code of law.

When I heard a healer was coming
to town, I followed the crowds,
fearing to be turned away, yet
convinced if  touched his robe
my suffering would end, hoping
he would not notice in the horde,
but he immediately felt my hand.

Shamed, I admitted my brazen act,
ready to face condemnation.
Instead Jesus praised my faith,
the crimson flow dried up. I leapt
and danced with abandon, knowing
I could now live free like others,
no longer treated as an outcast.

Barbara Mayer, OSB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog