As the Years Go by


older woman strength training



There's a sign that says: "Birthdays are good for you. The more you have the longer you live." A bit tongue in cheek to be sure. In real life, the older you get, the more things can go wrong. One pain seems to lead to another; one illness often evolves into a worse condition. You'd think with all the new medical discoveries and treatments, people's lives would improve not deteriorate.

Actually most  people who exercise, eat nutritious foods, and keep learning do remain healthy in their later years. In our religious community we have sisters in their 80's and 90's still helping in our care center, our spirituality center, and our switchboard. They keep praying, reading, playing games, doing jigsaw puzzles, and exercising. Some of them use IPads to watch videos, email family and friends, and keep informed about daily news.

One of our elders recently celebrated her 100th birthday and three will celebrate 75 years of religious vows this summer. One 96-year-old still writes icons with a steady hand. They inspire younger members with their dedication, peace, and enjoyment of life. They have slowed down, of course, and many are fragile of mind or body, but most of them still attend religious services and other activities.

I will soon have another birthday and so I challenge myself to keep active and alert. I volunteer at the food pantry one morning a week, play computer games, write poetry, and play ping pong. A friend who is 82 walks about a mile about 4:30 every morning. I'm not up to that, but just walking around our monastery often covers more than a mile. I do take more naps and go to bed earlier. I'm not in the best shape, but I'm doing well for the shape I'm in!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog