An Alarm-ing Idea!

Each morning we have morning prayer at 6:30 except on weekends. I can barely get myself up at 5:45, yet others are up at 5 or even before. They walk, meditate, do laundry or have breakfast before prayer. We even once had a sister who wrote a poem every morning before coming to chapel. I am envious of these early risers. How do they unclog their brain in the wee hours of morning?

It takes a lot of discipline to rise early and to be alert for prayer. Perhaps going to bed earlier would help, but many of us like to watch TV or read or play games before retiring. I'm sure age and health have an affect on our energy and awareness too. A routine and a schedule can keep us from lethargy and sloth even after we're retired. 

Another thing that helps is to anticipate a new day of surprises and wonders. Each day is an opportunity to learn new things, to encounter interesting people, to see amazing sights.  No day is like any other day for those who are curious and aware. We need to pray that God will open our hearts to the unexpected surprises each day brings. Someone once said, "If you aren't learning, you're dying." My hairdresser who is in her 70's told me she is going to start taking piano lessons. "I always wanted to learn how to play and never had time." I admire her spirit.

It takes a little effort to be ready to encounter whatever the day brings when the alarm goes off, but some encouraging self-talk might help, e.g., "I can do this! Good morning, God!  Lord, help me get going, Thank you, God, for this new day!" Block out the "Ugh! I don't want to get up." I know this is easier said than done, but it's worth a try.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog