Coming Home


Image result for returning home pics



I recently spent some time with another sister's brother and sister-on-law. Jack, her brother celebrated his 90th birthday while we were there. He is amazing for his age. He still drives, cooks, tends a garden, walks the dog, play cards and board games, enjoys watching baseball and keeping up with politics. He has some health issues, but he keeps plugging along as if he's 70. 

As I grow older, I find traveling is not as much fun as it used to be. Airports are challenging, plane seats are uncomfortable, walking is tiring, and suitcases are heavy. At my age, I'd rather curl up with a good book, watch a movie on TV, or play a game of Scrabble. Now I understand why I could hardly get my mother to go anywhere with me in her later years.

Going away makes me appreciate my familiar surroundings and people more. Even if I've heard the stories before, I usually forget some of the parts.The way my memory is going, they'll soon all seem new. And sleeping in one's own bed is always something that is nice to come back to.

After being away for a while, it was good to be home again-- to see the familiar faces and to be welcomed back. Although the time off was welcome and refreshing, I missed my regular routine. So I'll leave the exotic cruises and explorations of foreign countries to the younger set. For me, there's no place like home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog