When Life Gets in the Way

Image result for reaching your goals picturesWe all have good intentions to do better, to be better, but life gets in the way. We plan to set aside 20 minutes every morning for centering prayer, then a phone call interrupts  and our prayer goes by the wayside. We plan to write in our journal each night but after a hectic day we are too tired. We decide to not eat anything after supper, and someone in the house brings home Blizzards to celebrate a special occasion, and we are unable to refrain. We set a deadline for finishing a writing assignment, and procrastinate actually doing it.

Most of us are weaklings when it comes to achieving goals in our lives. We make excuses for not following through with our resolutions. Is this part of human nature or lack of discipline? Is it in our DNA or can we change our way of life?

I must admit I have failed more often than I have succeeded in carrying out my good intentions. I think it helps to have good role models or someone to be accountable to. In my spiritual endeavors it helps me to have a guide to share my journey. In other areas it helps me to have a partner to do things with.


At my age, I had hoped to have more discipline in my life. Now it is often physical health that interferes. If it's not back pain, it's leg cramps or some illness that interferes with carrying out my desires. Now that I have more time to do the things I've put off during my busy life, I don't have the energy or will power to accomplish them.

All I can say is I try to do the best I can with the time and energy I have and be satisfied. I won't write a best seller anymore, but I can do my little blog and hope it has a few readers. If anyone has some magic formula to reach goals, I'd certainly be interested in hearing them. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog