Bent-Over Woman

Image result for pics of bent over woman in Bible


The synagogue leaders shunned me,
deemed me demon-possessed.
Stooped in body, crushed in spirit.
I hobbled to the synagogue, hidden,
eyes riveted to the dusty walkway. 

Then Jesus called me; 
hesitant, I shuffled toward him, 
perplexed and fearful,
unable to lift my head.

Jesus touched me and I felt my body
straighten, my eyes lifted to see his face,
joy flooded my soul. I could stand up
after eighteen years of being horizontal 
to the ground, amazing the crowd.

Jesus called me a daughter of Abraham,
making me part of the family of Israel.

Jesus defied Jewish law by speaking to me,
a woman in public, touching me, curing me
on the Sabbath. He stood up for me and
for all those bent over by injustice, hatred,
fear or sickness, for when one is crushed,
all are laid low and diminished; when one
is raised up, all have dignity and worth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog