My Mother the Waitress

My mom

My mother rarely sat at the dinner table.
Instead she waited on us, dishing out
 food onto our plates, relishing
our compliments, encouraging us
to have more, often eating what
we left behind. She always had
fresh-baked cake or cookies or pie
for dessert,  never store-bought
always made from scratch.
  
I never realized how lucky we were
to have a mother that loved to cook
and lavish us with delicious meals,
serving us tirelessly as if she had
not spent hours peeling potatoes,
cooking vegetables, mixing ingredients.

I think she learned to be a servant
when she worked for a Jewish family
in Germany. Always in an apron 
working in the kitchen, never taking
time for her own needs or resting,
never even expecting a tip.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog