Our Own Blindness

We are told that we cannot change others, only ourselves. No matter how hard we try to change someone, it is like trying to transform a lemon into an orange. When we see others' faults, they often reflect our own defects, but we do not recognize them. When we are irritated by someone's slowness, we might take a look at our own stumbling steps. When we become incensed at another's lack of compassion, we need to observe how rigid we are in some areas. When we resent a person's crude behavior, we ought to consider our own lack of manners. This also includes sins of pride, jealousy, anger, sloth, selfishness and dishonesty. Blindness to our character defects makes us feel superior when actually we are often worse than those we criticize. I  know that I do not like messiness and people leaving their stuff lying around the room, yet my own bedroom and desk are far from orderly. I often judge people who are overweight as indulgent and not taking care of their health, yet I also have extra poundage and am not very health-conscious. So if I want to know what's wrong with me all I need to do is look at what bothers me in others. That makes me a little more patient and compassionate, since I realize I have similar weaknesses. Yet I need frequent reminders not to see the splinter in my brother's or sister's eye and miss the plank in my own.


Changing behavior and habits and sticking to it

Comments

Popular posts from this blog